- 1/4 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (divided)
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice penne
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- To a pot over medium heat add the onion, garlic and water. Cook until the onion begins to soften and water evaporates. Add the oregano, salt and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the lentils and tomato paste. Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce and half of the balsamic vinegar and stir to mix well. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the remaining balsamic vinegar and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with additional salt if needed
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve some of the starchy cooking liquid before draining the pasta.
- To assemble, set half of the lentil sauce aside. Stir the reserved cooking liquid into the lentil sauce, adding a little at a time until your desired thickness is reached. Toss the cooked penne noodles with the sauce. Divide the pasta between plates and top with the remaining lentil sauce and nutritional yeast, if using. Enjoy!